Race on the Agenda and London Metropolitan University present the launch of Suman Fernando's latest book - Institutional Racism in Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology: Race Matters in Mental Health.
About the Author: Dr Fernando is an Honorary Professor at London Metropolitan University and formerly consultant psychiatrist in the NHS.
- 4:45 - 5:15 Registration/ Raffle ticket purchase*
- 5:15 - 5:30 Introduction by John Gabriel
- 5:30 - 6:00 Book reading and discussion by Suman Fernando
- 6:00 - 6:30 Response by Colin King and Yvonne Christie
- 6:30 - 7:00 Q/A session - Followed by drinks reception
John Gabriel: Senior Professor, London Metropolitan University
(Author of Whitewash. Racialized Politics and the Media, 1998; co-author of Race and Power: Global racism in the twenty-first century, 2002).
- Colin King: Mental health survivor researcher and practitioner, Football coach; Former teacher at Lambeth College for Further Education.
(Author of ‘Play the White Man; The Theatre of Racialised Performance in the Institutions of Soccer and currently writing a book about being diagnosed with schizophrenia).
- Yvonne Christie: Activist in the field of Black mental health and race equality. She has been instrumental to think tanks that explore alternatives to psychiatric hospitals for Black People.
*Raffle in aid of ROTA of four hardback copies of the book*
This event is now fully booked.